Hot and cold wellbeing
Guide to an effective sauna bath
To enjoy a lasting effect on body and soul – and of course the immune system – following a small set of rules is recommended.
- First of all, start your visit with a thorough shower. Then, use a towel to dry. Keep in mind that dry skin sweats most.
- Choose a sauna cabin with a temperature you feel good in. There is a broad variety of sauna cabins, temperatures and infusions. Do not overestimate yourself.
- A short bathing of the feet in warm water relaxes and increases sweating.
- Inside the sauna, please put a sufficiently large towel on the bench to sit upon. The stay inside should be short, but intense. Since the heat rises up, you will sweat more while sitting on the middle and upper bench. Do not overestimate yourself and trust your feeling. Do not stay longer than 15 min.
- To enhance the effect, lie down to sweat evenly. However, you should sit for the last two minutes to allow the circulatory system to get used to an upright position.
- The cool-down phase begins on the outside of the sauna. Provide your body with fresh air and maybe walk a few steps.
- Showering down with a Kneipp-hose. This is the most careful way to cool down. A normal shower is also beneficial. In any case, before using a cool-down pool, take shower to wash down sweat. Do not use these pools in cases of high blood pressure.
- Afterwards, you may bathe your feet again. It will provide a feeling of wellbeing and warmth.
- Repetitive treatments with cold water are a good training for blood vessels and resilience of the body.
- Take time to relax. Give your body the time it needs to recuperate.
- A stay in a sauna is the perfect way to prepare for a massage.
- All good things come in threes: It is scientifically proven that three stays in a sauna on one single day are highly beneficial to overall health and constitution. Just repeat the steps again as stated above. However, keep in mind that more than three times do not increase the effect. Also, use saunas regularly to achieve a longer lasting benefit.